[nos-bbs] Trouble connecting to BBS with telnet

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Nov 2 14:47:14 EDT 2012

Hi Jack,

Interesting.  I tried commenting out the second search string and wait
interval and it works now.  I guess this is a JNOS bug.

The forwarding entry now looks like:

n0ary
tcp 11.22.33.44 12345
+N0ARY
* 5
.bbs n6mef
#+N0ARY
#* 5
n0ary
wb6yru
------------

As seen in a manual telnet session and in a wireshark capture of the
actually forwarding session, N0ARY definitely does respond to "bbs n6mef"
with a prompt containing the search text.  So those two lines *should* be
valid.  But when those two lines are not commented, out JNOS just sits there
and sends nothing.  When those two lines are commented out, JNOS sends
"[JNOS-2.0j.2.SCC.1-IHM$]" and the session proceeds.  (The .SCC.1 indicates
our local version number).  So, the search string in the forwarding file
seems to correct and I guess this is a bug in JNOS.

Certainly, the fact that the session hangs and JNOS eventually crashes must
be a bug.

Maiko:  let me know if you need me to gather any debug info and, if so, how
(I haven't done that before)

RE mbox fbb:  It is currently set to 0.  But I tried all three values and,
as expected, it had no effect on this particular problem.  The manual
doesn't provide any guidance on what this should be set to under what
conditions.  Based on the text in the manual, I'm guessing that a setting of
2 may be more optimal.  Is that recommended?

Thanks again,

Thanks for responding.  "mbox fbb" is current not set.