[nos-bbs] polling?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu May 17 11:06:03 EDT 2012

I like 100% Gus.

On 05/17/2012 08:34 AM, Gustavo Ponza wrote:
> >>SNIP<<
>
> What is the difference and what great efforts are needed to manage the
> encap.txt file (the old JNOS format) to be sourced on the autoexec.nos
> as in the canonical form:
>
> route addprivate 44.x.x.x/y encap <static IP number>
>
> or as:
>
> route addprivate 44.x.x.x/y encap <dynamic_host_address>
>
> so, why is it very arduous to encapsulate and manage my systems as:
>
> route addprivate 44.134.32.233/24 encap i0ojj.dyndns.org
> route addprivate 44.134.33.71/24 encap i0ojj.dyndns.org
>
> there is no need to any hard people work: so it appears a false reason.
Encap txt drives mapping in JNOS2 as you point out.
Enter sites like no-ip.com and dyndns.org working off daemon software.
JNOS documents only the numeric IP, not the domain name as the target.
The patch [below] may be one stab at the solution you look for.
There have been others I guess.

> >There is a patch floating around to enable domain name as a substitute
> >for IP number.
>
> I'll take a look for that...
I believe Maiko may have included it into JNOS2, say a few years ago.
Locally it did not get into wide use, hence K8RRA remains an RF only node.

> >>SNIP<<
>
> The JNOS2, thanks to Maiko, is one of the *free* applications under a
> live development, able for many aspects to manage almost everything for
> our goals, so why don't use that? Is it too difficult? Here we are... :)
Indeed.
One wonders what the Americas would be like today if the Norse had
successfully colonized upon arrival before the southern Europeans.
It's even one of those northern guys who invented the Linux thing.
Likewise, what amprnet would be like had Maiko and all the others who
preceded him had different objectives than they in fact did live with.

The wager stands...

Cheers & 73, Skip