[nos-bbs] polling?

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon May 7 20:54:11 EDT 2012

An interesting but disappointing thread Jim.

On 05/07/2012 04:55 PM, Jim Fuller (N7VR) wrote:

> Please be reminded that all 44.xx.xx.xx ampr.org addresses are under
> the Brian's Coordination.

Brian's responsibility and activity is way beyond reproach.
Yet consider that others within our hobby (like yourself) can usefully
carry part of the ball when their effort fits into puzzle.

> The polling has been curtailed.

Most likely the best thing under the circumstances.
But consider what the perp was (!maybe!) after with the activity -- a
map of 44... network?

Only if I'm correct about his motivation, and using my own experience
with jnoswiki, there seems to be no comprehensive way to describe 44...
worldwide to someone who is not already a ...NOS node.  There are in
fact sub-pools of information like MI-DRG, but beyond the detail of
encap.txt there is little available to describe "who" is likely to
respond and what "path" might support my link.  IMHO theDUDE type
software [if properly configured] might just produce a reasonable piece
of information -- if the result were published maybe it could even
motivate improved interconnectivity and more network use beyond the
overhead of theDUDE.  In my neck of the world disuse is the 44...
networks principal enemy, and yet I live in a subnet where Jay publishes
an active node display of sorts -- thus you are welcome to disagree.

Yes I'm aware of how transient the map would be.  I'm also aware how
tempting it is to abandon ham radio in favor of strictly Internet
paths.  For the ham packet radio part of our hobby, I do view a network
map as a useful but missing display.

IMHO-2 the original question by Russ never produced the suggestion that
by using JNOS ACCESS that the perp could be screened out of a local
node.  Access doesn't work like iptables in preventing receipt of a
packet, but it does prohibit processing of a targeted packet. Yes I
could have responded myself...:-(   While such a response does little
for 44... network, it does directly answer the original query.

> Jim Fuller

Cheers & 73
Skip

PS: Will you be responding to my 4/15 off-reflector query?