[nos-bbs] IPTABLES for TUN device

Jose Ng Lee hp2cwb at cwpanama.net
Fri Mar 2 23:59:21 EST 2012

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply, good explanation of Iptables and the references.  Your right Iptables subject is too broad.

My goal for now is to have Linux talk to the Jnos through the tun device and viceversa.  I was using before Firestarter graphic interface to setup the firewall.  With the Firestarter disable was able to communicate linux to Jnos.  Firestarter on was not able to and just couldn't set it up the rules.

So, I unistalled Firestarter.  The default Iptables firewall is on now but couldn't get it to communicate Linux to Jnos.  For an easier way to setup Iptables, I use Webmin through the web browser to modify the rules.  It got me confuse how to setup the rules and tried declaring the IP but doesn't work.  Later, I tried declaring in the Incoming and Outgoing packets to Accept the packets from the tun0 interface and now is working.  The tun0 interface is only on when jnos is execute so have to declare other interface and write the name tun0.

My next step is to setup the iptables to allow telnet from internet to the Jnos.  I tried and couldn't telnet to my Jnos from the internet.

Thanks,
Jose / HP2AT