[nos-bbs] Problem attaching tun device

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:19:41 EST 2012

Hi Maiko,

Based on the results of quite a bit of googling, I had formed the strong
impression that tun support has been built into the kernel since (at least)
Ubuntu 10.04, and hence I should expect "lsmod | grep tun" to fail (which
it does :-).

For example, this thread:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1459559

Also, somewhere out on the web (can't find it now, naturally) I found a
suggestion to run "dmesg |grep tun" to determine if it's present in the
kernel, and this yields two lines that identify the tun device driver's
version number (1.6, IIRC) and author (Max somebody). I can post the two
lines verbatim when I'm back in front of the machine.

I dunno, maybe getting these lines out of dmesg isn't really dispositive
that the driver is present?

Thanks,

Sent from my digital thumb-piano.