[nos-bbs] KA9Q NOS and an old DOS Computer

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Sat Feb 18 14:22:41 EST 2012

I am helping a friend local to me get on TCP/IP.  He an awesome netrom
node system, but has not ever tried TCP/IP.  He has a couple of old
dos computers, and is interested in giving NOS a whirl.  He does not
seem to be interested in running linux, so I figured the OG KA9Q NOS
would be the best bet.

I have been playing with it in DOSBOX.  It seems to work ok there.  I
have a couple of questions:

What mode must the TNC be in to talk to NOS?  This reference seems to say KISS:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/nosintro/CH15.HTM

What is the flag to get it to read an autoexec.nos file?  It does not
seem to be reading one in the NOS directory.

What SMTP app could he use to send SMTP since the version of KA9Q nos
does not seem to have SMTP implemented (as far as I can tell)?

Thanks,
Chris Maness