[nos-bbs] Discussion about JNOS 'slowness' ...

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Dec 27 21:17:57 EST 2012

Thanks Maiko!

For me, I think I'll wait until the timers "behave".

I never bothered me before since most users are on serial and I attributed
the lag to serial transfer time.  But yes, for the places we use LAN
connections, it was noticeable, but not terrible.

What DOES continue to bother us is unreliable forwarding with FBB stations.
Right now, this is a problem over Telnet.   When trying FBB 1, I get the
protocol errors that I've reported before.

When using FBB 2, there are other "mysterious" problems.  Others have told
me that FBB 2 works o.k. over the air.  You've previous posited that it
might be due to Telnet receiving escape characters due to the FBB 2
compression.  You gave me a suggestion to edit the telnet code and
recompile.  This, as I understand it, would have affected all telnet, so I
wasn't keen on trying it.  (I suppose I could on a test system, but not on
our production systems).

So bottom line, FBB 1 seems to have a protocol-level error in it and FBB 2
doesn't work properly via Telnet - particularly if JNOS telnets to FBB.

Do you have an FBB station you can try this with?  If not, perhaps I can ask
one of the FBB station owners that I forward with to allow you to forward
with him so you can see things first hand?  If not, I could work with you to
send tcpdump/wireshark traces back and forth.  I'm hoping you can find the
time to work on that...?  (That's my Christmas wish!)  ;-)

Michael