[nos-bbs] Raspberry Pi ?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:02:11 EST 2012

> Is anyone interested in, or has anyone actually compiled jnos for the  RP?

I know of several folks that have compiled it there but don't know
anybody with it on line and running.

The Pi is cute but it's certainly not the only game in town these days
for little computers:

  http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php

My current favorite is the Pogoplug series 4 -   It has USB3 ports,
gigabit Ethernet and when you consider the price of the the case and
power supply - it's cheaper than a Pi.  (No GPIO or HDMI - :(  )

  <http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-Series-Backup-Device-Version/dp/B006I5MKZY>

We should be able to use anything with a full Linux, specially Debian,
for JNOS.   The OPKG or OpenWRT based systems will, unfortunately, not
work - yet.

73
Bill - WA7NWP

PS.   Here's a note from Mr BPQ32 John showing what he's been doing
with the PI and some alternative RF devices..

----

A while ago (22 September) Bob posted a message about the RFM22 modules. I
was working on a TNC for the Raspberry PI at the time, so decided to try
building a TNC round these modules. There is a photo of the result here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/RMF22BTNC.png

The board is the same size as the PI (about the same as a credit card). This
one is fitted with the RFM22B module, with 100 mW output, but the board will
also take the 1 Watt RFM23BP. Although desined to work with the PI, it aslo
has a header for a serial to USN converter, so it can be used as a
standalone KISS TNC.

To test as a tracker I lashed up a board to connect the Adafruit Ultimate
GPS Breakout board. Photo here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1360001.jpg

I've now got them running, and just completed my first tests. On the first
trial with the 100mW version I achieved a range of just under a mile, with a
5/8 over 5/8 70cms whip on the car, and a far from ideal Marine Band whip at
base (The 70 cms colinear I bought for the test turned out to have an
infinite SWR!).

Although very much a work in progress, I thought I'd share results so far -
if anyone else is working with these modules I'd be interested to hear from
them.

BTW, the GPS module is pretty neat as well - it is about an inch square, and
includes a data logger - https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

73, John G8BPQ