[nos-bbs] Soundmodem compile fail (try this instead)

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Fri Apr 27 11:27:34 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:

> Wait a sec, I'm running soundmodem-0.16 on my slackware 13.0 system.
>
> When you do the make, it will still make the soundmodem module. Like
> you, I forgot I didn't have gtk, but I chose to ignore it, since you
> don't need the gui for a basic packet setup. Use 'make -i' so that the
> compile continues even with the errors. I know, but just do it :)
>
> Then manually configure (if you just want basic 1200 baud packet),
> copy the attached file to /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf, then run the
> soundmodem command. That's what I did now, it was a while ago.
>
>> Is it possible to install the dev source without compiling the
>> whole kit ?  I don't want to overwrite the distro package.
>

> As long as it matches the version on the distro I don't see why,
> since all you need are the header files and such. I was thinking
> the same. But like I mentioned, you don't really need the GUI,
> you just have to find a soundmodem.conf that *works* for you.
>
> Google can be your friend on this one ...
>
> Maiko

I have the GUI on Ubuntu for my laptop.  The reason I was hesitant
using soundmodem because it is really erratic in Ubuntu it just spits
out a continuous stream of AX.25 and then crashes.  I figured that
since it has not been maintained that it is not relevant on newer
systems.

I actually plan on using it on HF.  However, I don't think it supports
the Pactor I or Winmor protocols.  Would plain 300bd AX.25 work very
well on HF?

Soundmodem is running but it is not bringing up the interface sm0.  It
does this much in Ubuntu.  /dev/dsp exists and I am pretty certain
this server has a sound card although I don't have physical access to
check until this afternoon.

If I purchase a Signalink USB soundcard, will this show up as
/dev/dsp0 or something?

Regards,
Chris Maness