[nos-bbs] Following up crashes (perhaps related to WPAGES) ...

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Tue Apr 3 16:53:14 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, I hate to say this, but my system was up and stable for
> over 11 days (I had to move my server, that's why it was not
> up for longer). No crashes what so ever.
>
> As well, I've had no problem moving over my spool/*wp* files
> to another system and use them there. Seems okay. Perhaps, it
> is the AT command (wrt wpages) itself that is causing this,
> I will check that out (never thought of it actually). Maybe
> not use the AT command, and run 'wpages kick' manually for
> a few days, and see if the crashes still exist.
>
> So with that said, are we still getting crashes ?
>
> Getting meaningful GDB information would be helpfull if I am to
> figure out what's going on here. If it helps any, do NOT 'strip'
> the JNOS binaries of the debug info before running your JNOS.
>
> Send me whatever screen dump you get, even if you think it is
> not meaningful. There may be something I will recognize. Also,
> tell me what distro and hardware you're running on (please).
>
> Maiko

Well my JNOS just blew up when doing a manual wpages kick.  I tried to
cut and paste the gibberish on the screen, but I screwed that up.  I
saw the paths to what looked like libraries and the very last line
said aborted.

So I don't think the crashes are related to the AT command.  It is
related to the wpages kick execution.  I was not running gdm or any
other debugging stuff.  I will recompile without stripping the binary
(can you refresh my memory on that it has been ten years).

Here is my system info:

 gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/specs
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/lto-wrapper
Target: i486-slackware-linux
Configured with: ../gcc-4.5.2/configure --prefix=/usr
--libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --infodir=/usr/info
--enable-shared --enable-bootstrap
--enable-languages=ada,c,c++,fortran,java,objc,lto
--enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib
--with-python-dir=/lib/python2.6/site-packages
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libssp
--enable-lto --with-gnu-ld --verbose --with-arch=i486
--target=i486-slackware-linux --build=i486-slackware-linux
--host=i486-slackware-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.5.2 (GCC)

 cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.37.6-smp (root at midas) (gcc version 4.5.2 (GCC) ) #2
SMP Sat Apr 9 23:39:07 CDT 2011

cat /etc/issue

Welcome to \s \r (\l)

cat /etc/*-release
cat: /etc/*-release: No such file or directory

 uname -a
Linux gw 2.6.37.6-smp #2 SMP Sat Apr 9 23:39:07 CDT 2011 i686 Intel(R)
Celeron(TM) CPU                1200MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Regards,
Chris Maness