[nos-bbs] telnet interrupt key

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 27 12:48:16 EDT 2011

I find the topic interesting Michael, and I find my own approach
"wanting"...

On 10/27/2011 12:11 PM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> How do I interrupt/cancel a telnet attempt?
>
> For example, say I start a telnet to another machine. But it’s not
> answering. So telnet sits there for a while. I’d like to get out.
> CTRL-C and CTRL-T don’t seem to work. If I go back to the console with
> F10, I can “reset” the session number. But there’s got to be an easier
> way.

I typically don't use supervisor to link to other sites, I use the user
interface without all the privileges. As a user, CTRL-T does work -- sorta.

Once logged in to JNOS as a user, the default CRTL-T does interrupt the
on-going process and return the user to the > prompt. I have not found
failure to respond to be a problem.

I have found many times that I have interrupted the wrong JNOS. Because
CTRL-T is the default interrupt, when you have not reset the default
with your own special interrupt character then no JNOS in the chain of
JNOSes knows what you mean and the result is that the first JNOS in the
chain will respond leaving the rest hanging and probably now disconnected.

The solution I found is to use the X command to set an alternative for
CRTL-T as the first command after logging in to a new site in the chain
of sites. I also found this solution to be a test for my own memory.
Without a memory aid I often use the wrong interrupt character.

> Also, it seems that whenever I use the “reset” command, I have to use
> it twice. For example, if the session is “1”, then “reset 1” doesn’t
> seem to have an effect. A second “reset 1” will close the session
> immediately.

Of course I've responded from the same flawed memory. This is a topic in
the now-defunct JNOS wiki that Jim will be re-presenting someday soon.
Perhaps you will uncover an alternative...

Skip