[nos-bbs] Expiring old mail

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue Nov 8 00:28:38 EST 2011

Well, according to everyone who responded, there's just no way to do what I
want to do (original message below).  So I'd like to suggest the following
additions to the expire.dat file:

Allow "*" as a wildcard area name in expire.dat

Allow "0" (zero) as a number of days indicator, meaning "never expire"

So, given the desire to do the following:

                Area "perm" should never expire

                Area "30days" should expire after 30 days

                Everything else (including messages in user areas) should
expire after 45 days

The resulting expire.dat file would contain:

perm     0

30days  30

*             45

Now, I suppose that there might be a desire to expire user mail areas at a
different time than public bulletin areas.  So, instead of a single "*"
meaning ALL areas, it might be better to have two separate ones.  Something
like *users and *public.

Comments/suggestions?

Michael

N6MEF