[nos-bbs] JNOS & tactical calls

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Mar 28 18:39:06 EDT 2011

Hi Harry,

Fish, K6FSH was the originator of that code, so perhaps Fish or Maiko may
comment here on the code details.

I can comment on the configuration side.  The way it works is it looks for a
file called "TacCalls" in the JNOS directory.  If the login is found in the
TacCalls file, then the person is logged in.  If the login is not found in
the TacCalls file, then the usual call sign validity check is run.  The
formatting rules for the TacCalls file are:

1)  The file is a plain text file

2)  Lines beginning with "#" are ignored (comments)

3)  Blank lines are ignored

4)  Valid tactical calls are listed one per line, beginning in the first
column.

5)  White space followed by anything else on the line after each tactical
call is ignored.

So our typical TacCalls file looks like:

# comment

# comment

#

# Tactical Calls for Division ABC

#

abc123                  Division abc, site 123

abc456                  Division abc, site 456

#

# Tactical Calls for Division 123

#

123ppp                 Division 123, site ppp

Etc.

In our county network, we allow each agency to submit a list of tactical
calls.  We concatenate them together to form the TacCalls file.  Here's a
link to the instructions we provide our folks.  Hope it helps:
http://www.scc-ares-races.org/packet/SCC_Pkt_Tac_Call_Request_v100913.pdf.
Note that we require a description next to teach tactical call.  But that is
an administrative requirement.  It is not required by the code.

A note on performance:  Our tactical call list current 678 lines long, yet
we perceive no difference in login speed with or without the tactical call
lookup.

Michael

N6MEF