[nos-bbs] jnos smtp question

Gustavo Ponza g.ponza at tin.it
Tue Jul 12 05:35:30 EDT 2011

Hi all,
just translated 'on-the-fly' some notes found on my PC archives...
I hope to fully explain and keep peace on the concerned matter.

73, Gustavo / I0OJJ

------------
[3. Linee di principio del forwarding verso la rete AMPRnet (TCPIP)]

The SMTP mail (AMPRnet) guidelines

Format:

sp i0aaa at i0bbb		   rewrite: no rewrite command

The particularity of this operation is due to the fact that NO REWRITE
will be done (foreseen).
Since the message address, resulting from the rewrite process, contains
a “@” field, this message will be sent via the SMTP client, namely it
is intended as a mail to be delivered to the TCP/IP network (AMPRnet).

So, as per the following situation, (i0ojj) by writing a SP message to:

sp ik2pip at ik2pop           rewrite: (no one)

will cause that this file is sent (queued) to the /spool/mqueue
directory and will be represented by two files:

n.txt and n.wrk.

(1) The first file, having the format '<number>.txt' (i.e.: 2315.txt),
contains the whole message as edited in its integral form, namely:

the 'To:' field
the '@PBBS' field
the 'Subject'
the 'message body' (text)

(2) The second file, having the format '<number>.wrk' (es: 2315.wrk),
contains three (addresses) information lines:

the first line contains the 'target_mail_host'; in our example: ik2pop
the second line contains the 'msg_sender'; in our example: i0ojj at i0ojj
the third line contains the 'msg_addressee'; in our example:
ik2pip at ik2pop

The JNOS operation

1. At the first instance the JNOS makes a first 'look up' in its
'domain.txt' file, then to the DNS over the Internet to find out the
IP number owned by ik2pip.ampr.org.
2. Naturally, this IP number will be part of a *subnet* where the
'routing' has already been appropriately set.
3. At regular intervals, set with the 'smtp timer' command in
autoexec.nos (eg: 'smtp timer 600', i.e. every 10 minutes), the SMTP
client becomes active (wakes up) and goes to look inside
the /spool/mqueue directory to find our queued messages by
scanning/reading the 'n.wrk' file content(s).
4. For each message in the *queue* the JNOS SMTP *client* at the
i0ojj.ampr.org will attempt to make a connection to the ik2pop.ampr.org
SMTP *server*.
To force, at any time, the SMTP connection to that host, before the
'smtp timer x (sec)' setup, you can still use 'smtp Ik2pop kick' to get
the connection immediately (note the capital letter 'I' in the Ik2pop
callsign).
5. Once the connection will be established, the i0ojj.ampr.org SMTP
client will transfer the message to the ik2pop.ampr.org 'host' (SMTP
server), and in this event, it writes that message in the
JNOS /spool/mail directory in a file named ik2pip.txt.
So, as a general rule, for each mailbox 'user', when the JNOS receives
a SP message it will create an 'ad hoc' *callsign.txt* file in
the /spool/mail directory.
6. To end, the server at ik2pop.ampr.org will show a message in its JNOS
console saying: 'message for ik2pip has arrived'.
7. The user (ik2pip) can then connect to that system and read his
message.