[nos-bbs] Looks like another linux change is happening

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Jan 29 15:11:33 EST 2011

Greetings to jnos mounted on linux sysops.  Here is an FYI if you
haven't already heard it.

I am completing an install on Fedora 14.
In the process I found a new obsolete notice in some man documents for
commands i [we?] normally use.
The first one I saw is "ifconfig", the next was "route".
These [and others?] are being replaced by the command "ip" with various
subcommands.

IP has been around for quite a while, apparently it is mature enough to
replace some of my favorites?

How does this effect me? -- I guess some training is needed.
Some scripts I wrote need revision, perhaps soon they will cease working.
I have not looked at the Debian tree to see if the same thing is happening.

How does this effect jnos? -- I guess that is a Maiko decision.
Since OS support is minimal, maybe we just continue with ifconfig and
others inside jnos...

So far, F-14 is supporting jnos just fine.

Cheers
Skip