[nos-bbs] don't change linux time while jnos is running

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sun Jan 9 17:38:34 EST 2011

Yes, it's generally bad practice to "slam" the date to a new value.  Several
parts of linux won't like that - not just JNOS - and most Linux
documentation will warn you about that.  If you must use that command, then
reboot right away. Better to use NTP which doesn't abruptly change the time,
but speeds up or slows down the clock so that it eventually syncs.

If your local JNOS system does not have internet access, but one that is
reachable over the air does have internet access, you can run an NTP server
on the remote system and have your local system sync to it over the air.

Windows comes with a NTP client which is fine for keeping your own machine
up to date, as long as you have Internet access.  But it doesn't come with
an NTP server (which you only need if you want to provide time updates to
others).  If you need a Windows-based NTP server, check out Meinberg NTP for
Windows.  Works FB.

Michael
N6MEF