[nos-bbs] tty lock file mystery solved

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Feb 25 20:34:43 EST 2011

Oh, boy.  I feel like such an idiot.  I found the problem with the
mysterious stale lock files.  It was me!

The production machine where this occurred starts up JNOS when it boots.  On
my laptop, I don't do that, preferring to start JNOS only when I need it.

I was updating some configurations on the production machine.  I was so used
to not having JNOS running continuously on my laptop, that I started it
(again) with a quick "sudo ./jnos.exe" to check my updates.  Well, trying to
start it a second time, the ports were already locked, so the attach
commands failed and it then complained about every other port-related
command after that.

I sure wish it had come back with something like "Hey DUMMY!  JNOS is
already running, you idiot!!!"  Perhaps it did but flashed by too quickly.
Oh well.

Sorry to bother everyone.  But embarrassing as this is, I figured it was
better to let everyone know the final resolution.

I'll crawl back into my hole now.

Michael

N6MEF