[nos-bbs] removing stale tty lock files

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Feb 23 11:03:07 EST 2011

I wonder Michael...

On 02/23/2011 10:03 AM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> >>SNIP<< I stopped JNOS, manually removed the lock files, and then
> restarted JNOS. All was well.

Referring to many examples on the web [including Maiko's posting], I see
stale lock files removed prior to starting jnos. I do expect you have
also seen this in your own work. We might see a series of statements in
the OS start-up script like:
if [ -a file ]; then rm file; fi
where file is the whole path to the lock file that the upcoming jnos
will establish as it opens new I/O paths. This makes the jnos feature
redundant, and I suspect maybe it was a work-around for whatever answer
Maiko has for your question. I'm glad you ask. I do wonder why you chose
to skip the OS approach to removal... But that is not why I answer...

> >>SNIP<<
>
> I’ve been trying to duplicate the problem on a different machine
> (which I have better access to) which uses USB-to-serial converters
> (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, ttyUSB2).

RS-232 interfaces serviced by ttyS# are fully hardware dependent with
stable numbers. USB technology is intentionally "hot pluggable" and the
service by ttyUSB# is situational. If the devices are plugged in prior
to OS boot time, then the # is set by the hardware service sequence and
the same socket gets the same # each boot. But if the device is plugged
in after boot time, then the # is assigned by the plug-in sequence
selected by the operator no matter which socket is used. I wonder if you
have discovered a way to sort this difference out so the ttyUSB# becomes
stable?

In my case, I've written a document with a formula that says: "Plug the
adapters in using the following sequence ..." where I specify BOTH the
order of TNC/radio link and the computer socket to use. It is overly
restrictive, but I have no better way now to set the jnos internal
"attach" to the specific radio. It becomes hard to teach when the
station hardware is modified from one configuration to another with a
different radio lineup. This question IS why I answered your post.

THANKS!
Skip