[nos-bbs] IM Clients With WW Converse Server?

Charles Hargrove n2nov at arrl.net
Sun Feb 20 02:47:02 EST 2011

OK, let me lay out the details to clarify what I want to do.

1 - some local hams are not on packet that I want to use a common chat
2 - we need to be able to access it from multiple O/S and devices
3 - a common piece of software w/different O/S or device versions is OK
4 - accessible via RF plus internet (desktop PC or smartphone)

So, what I have so far is the local JNOS box is connected to InlandPNW
for the WWconverse system.  This can be accessed by someone logging onto
the JNOS box via RF or telnet (port 23) and choosing CONV from the prompt.
They can also go directly to CONV by connecting to port 3600 where they
are challenged to login by typing /n and their callsign to enter.  So far
I have advised my local users of using the telnet programs available on
their PC's O/S (Windows/DOS telnet at the command box prompt), using a
client like Putty or something similar.  A member asked about using his
iPhone as he currently does with EchoLink.  I see that the new version 4
of Trillian has versions for Android, Blackberry, Mac, iPhone and Windows.
If I can get the IRC settings of Trillian to work with the telnet login
then I want to suggest it as a common program for any O/S or device that
a local user has (http://www.trillian.im/).

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @ 8:30PM 441.100/136.5 PL & 145.230/114.8 PL
http://www.nyc-arecs.org and http://www.nyc-races.org

NYDXA SWL & Scanner Net Wed. @ 9PM 441.100/136.5 PL & 145.230/114.8 PL
http://www.n2nov.net

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through
the walls topped by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified
borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus