[nos-bbs] tun0 and more Linux routing commands

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:54:00 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:56 AM, George [ham] VerDuin
<k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote:
> I'm curious about the "vm" in your note Bill.
>
> On 02/12/2011 07:47 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
>
> I'm having some mixed success moving to the new (to me) TUN0 scheme
> for connecting the JNOS2 VM with the Linux networking stack.   I'm
> curious how other folks are dealing with this.
>
> I have not run a "Virtual Machine" to host jnos here, only straight-up Linux
> of several varieties.  Still, here is what has worked well for me for the
> past couple years -- a script named "stack.up"

Hi George,

I look at JNOS as actually being a Virtual Machine.   After all, it's
a Network Operation System.     Long before VM's were so cool and
highly useful, we were running JNOS as a machine mostly independent of
the host system - at least as far as networking is concerned.   Since
the file system is shared and there's no way (in JNOS, TNOS had Forth)
to run local programs it may not qualify as a real VM but it still has
many of the attributes of a VM.

73
Bill - WA7NWP