[nos-bbs] JNOS TTY console - No Visual

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Feb 5 12:27:14 EST 2011

OK Bill -- got time for an experiment?

Select an unused tty console and log in - say tty2.
Select another unused tty to observe - say tty3.
On tty2 session, run the following command:
  ...$ exec echo "foobar" >  /dev/tty3
Switch to tty3 to validate the text is displayed now.
Log in again on tty2 [the "exec" will result in a logout].
If this fails for the reason of "permission denied"

    then do this:
       ...$ sudo chown me /dev/tty3
                        where: "me" is the UID that you are logged in
    under on tty2
    Now repeat the first command

Presuming success with the first command by now, add to the command per:
  ...$ exec echo "foobar" >  /dev/tty3  2>&1
Again switch to tty3 to see the new text.

On 02/05/2011 03:41 AM, Wm Lewis wrote:
> Bob:
>
> I can't leave it in !!
>
> If I leave it in, I get an "Ambiguous Redirect" error and JNOS wont run.
JNOS is running but not correctly linked to tty4 when you leave it out.
SO -- an error remains to be fixed & afterward you may add the
redirection back in...

On the other hand, if the above experiment fails your system should
probably not be running at all.
The feature we are looking at is called "output redirection" and it is
heavily used by the OS.
Don't believe me?  ==> see the output from the command:
    ..$ grep -e "2>&1" /etc/init.d/*

So -- the suspect source of the failure remains to be in the
/jnos/jnos/startnos script.
Here is what I see is missing from startnos:

    cd /jnos -- command is missing [jnos working directory on your
    system seems to be /jnos]
    sleep 2  -- command is missing [Linux needs to flush I/O in that time]
    export ... -- a couple commands to set environmental variables are
    missing

    According to the "rules" it should make no difference BUT I'd be
    more comfortable with the format:
    exec /jnos/jnos <  /dev/tty4 > /dev/tty4  2>&1
    If the "-a 40" is critical to your operation, add it back in after
    the default version works.

BUT that is no guarantee of success.
I've seen this kind of failure when a non-printable character sneaks
into a script.
And there remains the matter of permissions or use of "sudo" to emulate
root.

> That was already posted.

> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:11:33 -0500
> From: bobtenty at gmail.com
> To: nos-bbs at tapr.org
> Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] JNOS TTY console - No Visual
>
> You shouldn't remove '2>&1' as it is needed to make it work
>
> I use it too.
I've operated since 2007 without it.
I wonder what I've been missing...:-)

> By the way, I find the /jnos after the '-d' parameter confusing
Explanation:
the -d parameter sets the working directory for jnos -- it should have a
full path defined.
This parameter is redundant when a "cd" command brings to the same
directory.

Just for grins:
I have attached a replacement [experimental] startnos script for you to try.
If it works, then add back the "-a 40" (that's a big number?...).
And change the time zone [now set to my home].

Best of luck
Skip