[nos-bbs] please remind me of JNOS features asked for in the past ...

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:07:29 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Maiko Langelaar <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote:

> I need people to remind me what they have asked for (and are
> still waiting on) to be put into any future JNOS release.

My current off-the-cuff wish list in a somewhat prioritized order:

 * Web client - TNOS has this and it's something I'd work on moving if
I get some good quality NOS time..

 * Packet Engine (AGW, LDS) interface.   That would allow JNOS to
access -- over the net -- a wide varity of other devices.  The Packet
Engine Server would allow JNOS to make its devices available to other
systems -- over the net.

  * attach aprs-is ...     start aprsis --   APRS-IS network client
and server...   This should be easy...

  * Get rid of getcontext and setcontext.   Maybe it's no longer an
issue with the embedded environment but this was the only thing
keeping me from running JNOS on an unslung NSLU2.   Setting up a NSLU2
with full Debian instead of the unslung embedded variant might be a
better solution.

  * 32 bit compile on windows to move beyond the 16bit DOS world.
Phil K had NET compiling on the older gcc on DOS system and I'm
looking forward to getting another project (VTK - it's related to my
work at Tecplot.com) running with Mingw.  When that's done, it should
be straightforward to try JNOS.

  * APRS UI control of the JNOS BBS like Winlink2000 does with
APRSLINK - http://www.winlink.org/aprslink

Thanks again Maiko for your efforts...  And everybody else too!   Hard
to believe it's been 20+ years of JNOS.   (Has anybody figured out the
NOS history timeline..)    Speaking of memories;  I'm still 'moving'
treasures and old stuff, a car load at a time, from the folks home in
Montana to the current QTH here in Redmond.   This last trip included
a "big board" and manual.  It would be cool to populate it and get the
old pre-PC NET running...   Maybe next year.

73
Bill - WA7NWP