[nos-bbs] Configuring a Kenwood TM-D710 for use with JNOS?

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:32:26 EDT 2011

Hi all,

It's me again, with today's silly question: What do I need to know about
configuring a Kenwood TM-D710 for use with JNOS?

The TNC has been manually set so that "PACKET12" shows on the A side of
radio's front panel (PTT and CTRL are also showing on the A side).

The relevant lines of my autoexec.nos file are:
----------
attach asy ttyS0 - ax25 tnc1 1024 256 9600
ifc tnc1 descr "145.61 MHz 1200bps"
comm tnc1 "HB 1200"
pause 2
comm tnc1 "KISS ON"
pause 2
----------

The radio doesn't transmit when the beacon timer expires, but if I open the
"screen" program on /dev/ttyS0, every time the bcinterval expires, I see my
beacon text appended to some line noise show up in its window, something
like this:
---------
-��l���@e�N6ORC BBS (JNOS), 145.6
----------

If I let the beacon run long enough and let all these beacon strings pile
up, the TNC eventually prints "?too long" at the end of the cascade of
beacon strings. So it feels like these strings are going to the "cmd:"
prompt instead off the kiss logic. (I've been told, though, that the D710 is
a strange beast, in that its "cmd:" prompt remains available even if it is
in KISS mode. Is there any truth to this?)

Also if I type "KISS" to the "screen window" it responds with "KISS ON" --
although at times the response is garbled, so I may have to type "KISS"
three or four times to get the full response to show up.

So, I feel like I'm close, but that there's something missing. Does the TNC
need some additional command to get it to actually switch into KISS mode
(as, for instance, a KPC3+ needs "reset" after "intface xkiss"?). I didn't
see anything like that in the manual, but I may have just missed it...

Thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide,

Michael KI6TYV
--
Remember, Comrades: Life is a series of choices -- all of which will be made
for you by Central Committee.