[nos-bbs] JNOS & tactical calls

Michael Curry dgspotman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:51:58 EDT 2011

In a thread that you all thought went dormant last month, FiSH (K6FSH)
wrote:
> if you UNDEFINE MBX_AREA_PROMPT and MBX_MORE_PROMPT it should
> eliminate the need to pre-configure users to "expert" mode.  We use
Outpost too.

Apropos of this observation, I just want to verify -- are the following
assertions true? (And if not, what's the proper course of action?)

1a) There's no #define that I can change to #undef to turn off the
alphabet-soup prompt (a user still needs to issue the X command to get that
to go away);
1b) The alphabet-soup prompt doesn't prevent Outpost from working correctly
with JNOS (statements found on the Outpost website to the contrary
notwithstanding);
2) Even though (after #undef'ing the two symbols named above) I don't need
to doctor up entries in users.dat for the Tactical Call Signs, I still need
to create entries for them in ftpusers (unless I'm willing to let them
default to "univperm", or some more specific "<interface>perm").

Also, is there any documentation of the format of entries in users.dat? Or
do I just need to read the code?

Thanks!

Michael KI6TYV
--
Remember, Comrades: Life is a series of choices -- all of which will be made
for you by Central Committee.