[nos-bbs] trace files

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Sep 22 14:42:48 EDT 2010

I'm having difficulty with the trace command.

If I specify no filename, it will send the output to the F9 session window.
Good.

However, while this is good for casually checking to make sure things are
working, it is virtually useless for tracking down a problem because things
scroll of the screen and are gone.  Also, it's lost when you close JNOS.

So.

If I specify a filename, it will no longer send the output to the F9 session
window.  Bad.  Now I can't see what's going on interactively.

Also, when I specify a filename, the file is created, but has zero size and
nothing in it until I exit JNOS.  Really BAD.  So now I have no trace output
at all while JNOS is operating and, if it crashes, it may not be able to
write the trace output file.

So, putting this together, tracking down a problem is virtually impossible.

It seems to me that:

1) JNOS should always write to the F9 session (unless strace is off, in
which case, it would write to the F10 session)

2) If a file is names, then JNOS would ALSO write to the file

3)  JNOS should write to the file as it is running.  NOT buffer everything
up until it terminates.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there a workaround?

Michael

N6MEF