[nos-bbs] ip-ip

Jim Smith lanshark at charter.net
Tue Nov 23 23:20:27 EST 2010

Kerry,

  Cool, I did not know that.

Thanks!

Jim N8AVX

-----Original Message-----
From: nos-bbs-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:nos-bbs-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
Of Kerry Smith
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 6:56 PM
To: TAPR xNOS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] ip-ip

Jim,
Let me clear this up a little bit IF I CAN?

During the ping test I mentioned, I was sitting on a public IP, not a
44.x.x.x ip.  Since jnos itself can talk back to the public ip's, if things
are setup correctly, it doesn't use encap for that reason.  One of the times
it might use encap to talk back to a public ip is if your using someone else
as a gateway out, for example those poor people that are source filtered by
there isp.  In that case it would be encap back.

If your on a public ip, ping a 44.x.x.x ip, the packet will go to ucsd, get
encapsulated, then go to the machine via the encap file map.  Once jnos
receives this ip, it should return the ip back to the public ip within it's
shortest route.

Now, if you ping with a 44.x.x.x to a 44.x.x.x, AND you don't have an axip
route created with that person, THEN, you will have your encapsulation in
both directions, and if both stations are listed in the encap.txt file, the
uscd won't even see it.

Kerry - n3nxo