[nos-bbs] ip-ip

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Tue Nov 16 15:31:34 EST 2010

Greetings,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Bob Tenty wrote:

> Some of these consumer routers don't pass the ip-ip/ ipencap protocol.
>
> Re-flashing them with open source "dd-wrt" (www.dd-wrt.com) can offer a
> solution to this.
> (If dd-wrt is available for your model)

   Many of the Linksys and other off the shelf routers also get squirrelly
when you set a host address as being the DMZ host and then confuse them by
also trying to do TCP port forwards.  If the host is defined as the DMZ,
it is *already* getting ALL ports directed to it by default!  So beware of
making that error...

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

> On 10-11-14 11:53 PM, N0MR wrote:
> > I'm told ip-ip contacts to my JNOS system do not work. I don't know
> > what is wrong, but I can describe my setup and hope someone has a
> > suggestion.
> >
> > I'm running JNOS 2.0h. I'm running Ubuntu 8. I have a static IP on a
> > Linksys router with a LAN side address 192.168.0.51. The router has
> > DMZ open to the address of the JNOS software and ports 1 through 600
> > are open to that address.
> >
> > My Linux computer has an address 192.168.0.75 and JNOS 192.168.0.76.
> > JNOS is configured with all ports open except port 25. Port 25 is open
> > to only two trusted addresses. My ISP does not block any ports.
> >
> > I have two ampernet AXIP ports running. I do transfer mail by telnet.
> > I do get rip broadcasts about every 5 minutes. Everything seems to be
> > running fine except I'm told my system will not accept ip-ip connections.
> >
> > With that description, can anyone see any problem or suggest something
> > that might be missing.
> >
> > Jerry, N0MR

        () ascii ribbon campaign in
        /\ support of plain text e-mail

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|