[nos-bbs] Email gateway

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:07:13 EST 2010

> That would be cool.  And/or forwarding via telnet (server.winlink.org:8772)
> to the Winlink 2000 server cluster which has access to internet SMTP.  Might
> that be an easier path toward this kind of connectivity??
>
> Thanks,
> FiSH  K6FSH

Or just use the Gmail infrastructure..   Here's a note from KB9MWR
with some really useful information.   It sure beats my stunnel to
Gmail hack described in the BPQ32 documentation.

<http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20eMail%20Gateway.htm>

73,
Bill - WA7NWP

--- de KB9MWR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if you are aware that you can have google be a mail
exchanger for an entire ampr hostname... anything @wa7nwp.ampr.org...
Just follow the instructions below and set it up as a non profit.
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/nonprofit/index.html

You seem aware that you can POP3 a gmail account, which is awful nice.
 You may also be aware that most ISP are blocking port 25, making
running ones own SMTP server difficult.  It is possible to use gMail
as SMTP Relay Host for SendMail.  Using this in combination with the
free google MX via POP3 is a fair way around the whole mess.

Gmail requires authentication to be able to use it as a relay.

This is the page I followed:
http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/gmail.html

I can send you some sample config files if needs be.  Basically
sendmail.mc/cf needs to define the smart host of smtp.gmail.com.  and
you need to define it to use the auth ports.
There needs to be a directory created /etc/mail/auth..... With a file
created called client-info that looks like this:
AuthInfo:smtp.gmail.com "U:smmsp" "I:username at host.ampr.org"
"P:password" "M:PLAIN"
AuthInfo:smtp.gmail.com:587 "U:smmsp" "I:username at host.ampr.org"
"P:password" "M:PLAIN"

You can use fetchmail to retrieve the MX'ed mail off the gmail server
and bring it back to your local mailbox folders.

poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns user
'username at host.ampr.org' there with password 'password' options ssl