[nos-bbs] Routers and NAT

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 1 08:53:27 EST 2010

Good morning Kerry.
Barrys suggestion is encouraging.

On 02/28/2010 09:50 PM, Kerry Smith wrote:
> What i'm seeing in the Linksys is this...
>
> I Test a telnet connection into the Nos box.  On the ETH0 trace, I
> see the packet come in from the external NON 44 IP to the Internal
> box IP, such as -- source 24.24.24.24 Dest 192.168.0.100

If the source for this packet is outside the LAN, then Linksys should
have done NAT as part of the DMZ mapping.
If your LAN is class C, then 24.24.24.24 IP is not OK for a Linksys
gateway IP.
Jnos doesn't have a good request packet to respond to.

> I then see on the encap trace, the packet DE Encapsulated
> such as -- source 24.24.24.24 Dest 44.80.32.186
>
> The nos box responds to the 24.24.24.24 with a packet such
> as -- source 44.80.32.186 Dest 24.24.24.24
>
> This ip does not get encapsulated since the destingation is
> a NON 44 addy.  This is VERY Normal.

Well maybe no -- the example is not symmetric.
If the packet came in thru encap, then it should leave thru encap too.

> If I connect directly to the DSL Modem and hard code my static
> ip into the box, everything talks.  Works both ways and all.
> (this is without the linksys router)

My neighbor hamgate  guy uses his laptop for most of his jnos I/O over
his LAN, seldom does he go to the computer hosting jnos.  He also
carries his laptop for business trips and calls home from many places.
I believe he has the Linksys gateway and it works nicely.  I do expect
you will have success and not have to trash the device.

73
Skip