[nos-bbs] Example: auto-boot & screen

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 1 13:33:30 EDT 2010

As a follow-up to last Feb discussion on this reflector, I just posted
production scripting on jnoswiki for anyone who is interested.  The
k8rra install works this way:

    * Jnos boots as part of the host boot sequence
    * Jnos runs like other UNIX daemons -- quietly in the background.
      The jnos services like POP, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, etc,. all just answer
      the door when anyone "knocks".
    * Jnos runs until the host is shut down [or is manually stopped]
    * The OS "chkconfig" switches on/off the auto-boot feature
    * The OS "service" command supports admin fcn: status, stop, start,
      restart, etc
    * The OS "screen" command supports access to the jnos sysop console.
    * The OS "telnet" command supports access to the jnos BBS server

There is no magic in it at all, just presented for others to extend and
build on for themselves.  From the first page, follow
"StationsOfInteres" and "K8RRA-1" to find downloads.  There has been
some recent conversation on a variation of this approach -- auto-booting
jnos including a hook-up to one of the alt tty consoles for sysop access
[instead of screen].  Perhaps one successful user of that approach will
post his scripting at some later date.

As a matter of a request:  Has anyone has captured the OS kill SIG and
patched jnos to initiate "onexit.nos" script as part of shutting down
jnos?  If so -- shoot me a copy of the patch...?  I could find it useful.

The above should be suitable for any recent Linux kernel.  Access to
chkconfig, service, screen, and telnet, may require some installation
work depending on the distro?  The above has run under F-11 as presented
without issue for months...

Cheers.
Skip