[nos-bbs] IH table entries

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 25 09:07:59 EST 2010

Greetings all...

I have seen JNOS2h showing two different patterns in the IH table for
the same traffic.
The differences are related to site, and I can't find a config.h entry
that speaks to the issue.

The operation:
A) While logged in to JNOS2h at hamgate.ottawa.ampr.org site I "...>
telnet ve4klm.ampr.org".
B) The Internet tunnel works without problem and I "...> IH" at KLM
destination site.
      The IH table shows *two* entries
              44.102.132.20        encap     0:00:00:02    5
              97.84.11.198           tun0      0:00:00:02    5
      which are my originating site IPs for both AmprNet and Internet.
C) After I logout and return to the originating site I also do "...> IH"
at hamgate site.
     The IH table shows *one* entry
               64.42.231.3            tun0       0:00:00:16    12
     which is the encap Internet address for ve4klm at the originating site.

My questions:
1) Am I correct to expect "Internet-IP tun ..." AND "AmprNet-IP encap
..." in the IH table when jnos does encap?
2) Did I miss a configuration parameter that selects the option to
include encap IP in IH table?
3) How wide-spread is this effect in various NOS revisions?

Actually, question 3) may be a bit over the top, but I'm curious anyway.
Thanks for considering this small detail.
Skip