[nos-bbs] Question about jnos2 and ax25 using linux with udev

Edgar Barranco r00t at linuxlatino.org
Thu Dec 23 00:03:02 EST 2010

Hello experts,

I am very late to the jnos/packet party but I am interested on
learning about it and if possible being able to setup a jnos2 station
in my area.

I have been struggling a little parsing over a large amount of
(outdated?) documentation. I started setting up a DXCluster, a FBB
BBS, node and Talkd, they all work well. Now I wanted to give JNOS a
try. I downloaded the latest version, went over the configurations and
now I am having some problems.

I am using Debian 5.07, on a pc with only 1 serial port so I only have
1 TNC (1278b) connected to 1 radio. The jnos configuration does not
play well with the ax25d configuration needed to get the other
services running under linux.  The serial port is being used already
so it is lock. Now I can either or run jnos or the other applications.

I have googled all over and found a few workarounds but most of them
need a /dev/ptyq# pseudo terminal setup. For debian this is not the
case anymore, they use udev.  Witht the /dev/ptmax and /dev/pts/#
skim.

The original ax25 packages that came with debian were out dated, I
downloaded the newer packages from the CVS at linux-ax25.org site and
now the new set of tools are modify to work well with the udev ways of
doing devices.

Now my question: I successfully used net2kiss and created a proper
/dev/pts/# but how you use this on the jnos2 autoexec.nos file? When I
start jnos it complains about the port failing to attach (trying to
pts/0) as device.

Has anyone configured jnos alongside ax25 using a udev linux
distribution, if so how you did it?

Thanks,
Edgar/KC2UEZ