[nos-bbs] JNOS onTivo!?!

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Tue Oct 6 13:14:15 EDT 2009

Google is your friend here however this is not for the casual hacker. In
my opinion folks looking for low power systems should look at the
various terminal server/thin clients that litter ebay for change of $20.
Alternatively use an embedded solution such as WRAP or Soekris.

There are a few methods to gain access to the Tivo. Most require one to
replace the OS with a pre-hacked version which will then enable the
serial port as a console as well as allow network access from a huge
variety of USB ethernet/wifi adapters. This replacement is best done by
the HDD swapout method (prepare a new HDD on a different machine.

Once you are into your Tivo you can release the OS grip on the serial
port by commenting out the serial port statements in /etc/inittab and
/etc/lilo.conf. A reboot will then release the serial port for RF use.

I haven't done it yet but in theory you should be able to install a
compiler etc onto the Tivo and compile the code there. I used JNOS2E as
it was the only one I had kicking around.

The single serial port might slow folks down a bit. I use multidrop KISS
on my WRAP 2E system (5 watts of computer power!!) which also has a
single serial port. I find it works OK.

Mark