[nos-bbs] SMTP Gateway

Barry k2mf at ptd.net
Sun Jun 28 13:47:23 EDT 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:01:30 +0000 (GMT), doug at kalish.com
wrote:

> I'm having trouble with the smtp gateway:
>
> (Set up gateway and ping it)
> jnos> smtp gateway smtp.gmail.com
> jnos> smtp trace 3
> jnos> ping smtp.gmail.com
> jnos> Resolving smtp.gmail.com... 209.85.147.109: rtt 40
>
> (Send a message to doug at kalish.com)
> jnos> queue job 432 From: ka3l at sceast.ampr.org To: doug at kalish.com
> Trying Connection to 209.62.105.13
> SMTP client Trying...
> smtp sent: QUIT
>
> (smtp is trying to connect to kalish.com, not smtp.gmail.com)
> jnos> ping kalish.com
> jnos> Resolving kalish.com... 209.62.105.13: rtt 63
>
> Help please.
>
> Doug KA3L

Very few internet providers permit connections to port 25 off
their "premises".  This is done to reduce spam and there is
very little, if anything, you can do about it without drawing
attention to yourself.

You will need to find an SMTP "gateway" server that permits
SMTP connections from 44-net and then actually connect to it
from a 44-net SMTP client that is *behind* your gateway.  You
will likely also need to use a SAFE (source address filter
elimination) tunnel for your packets to the non-ampr internet,
because if your provider filters outgoing connections to port
25, it is also likely they filter outgoing packets which have
source IP addresses that do not belong to its network.

--
73, Barry, K2MF >>
k2mf at ptd.net