[nos-bbs] SMTP Gateway

George [Skip] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Jun 27 13:19:15 EDT 2009

Hi Doug.

doug at kalish.com wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the smtp gateway:
> >>SNIP<<
> Help please.
The good news seems to be that ping demonstrates a fully functional route.
Also: I got 201 hits with google "smpt sent: quit" that I did not digest
for lack of info...
Digging even deeper -- there is tracing help at the packet level you
might try at the interface.
It is effective as long as the compression feature is not in effect -
most of the negotiation is in ascii.
It's easy enough to pick out the fine detail within the SMTP traffic.

There is also the philosophical design parameter that keeps ampr.net
separate from Internet to consider?
Your example mixes "...ampr.net" with "....com" domains.
To stay in strict compliance with FCC, screening users of SMTP may be
required in your case?
My [long ago] experiment stopped at the point of password protected
access to SMTP at my ISP.
Actually the regulatory bag of worms is the primary reason I quit the
attempt to bridge thru my ISP.
Calling me chicken is OK.

The problems I've had over the past years with SMTP has been caused by
the underlying network:
  A) broken routes within ampr.net
  B) parameter tuning for the 1200B link from my station [very SLOW]
SMTP itself  to any remote ampr.net site has been pretty robust.

> Doug KA3L
Best of luck.
Skip