[nos-bbs] SMTP gateway problem

George [Skip] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Jun 14 22:23:41 EDT 2009

Interesting Doug.

doug at kalish.com wrote:
> I've been trying to add an indirect route through a gateway
 >>SNIP<<
> and eventually times out.
>
> Why isn't it sending via the sceast gateway?
Well -- DNS is satisfied the endpoint exists for the destination, even
though the names in your email did not resolve for me here at k8rra.
The proof is that mail "send" did queue the selected mail for you.
Your timeout suggests no response to the SYN packet sent from ka3l.
My bet is that the route to and back is incomplete at one network node
somewhere in the path.
To proof the route, try to ping scsouth from ka3l.
If ping fails, SMTP will fail.
Traceroute [hop check] is good at this detective work too.

> Thanks.
Best of hunting.
Skip