[nos-bbs] Linux and JNOS

Bob Nielsen n7xy at clearwire.net
Thu Jun 11 22:22:38 EDT 2009

I'll add a few comments to Skip's answers...

I ran a JNOS gateway at a remote location for several years and
switching to Linux was fairly uneventful.  With JNOS 1.10 on DOS, the
available memory would drop quickly in a 24/7 operation (I even put a
mechanical timer on the PC power supply to force a reboot daily!).
Switching to Linux on the same computer (486-100) made it much more
stable and it would run for months on end without needing to restart.

As to the Linux learning curve, having had several years of NET/NOS
experience really helped, since the commands are very Unix-y.  I made
the transition after I retired 15 years ago (Linux has come a long
way since then, but so has Windows).

73, Bob N7XY