[nos-bbs] NNTPS

Raymond Quinn w6ray at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 20:17:17 EDT 2009

> Raymond Quinn wrote:
> > I have been all over the jnoswiki site (among others) and cannot find my
> > answer.
> Looks like login & nntps don't "join", it is a worthy topic...
> > Is there a way to add login information for the news server?
> >
> Allow me to better understand your question?
>
> nntp is a transport mechanism.  Reading & writing the news is a user
> function that has login at the front door.  Is the basis of your
> question meant to qualify [and perhaps exclude] remote client access to
> the nntp transfer server function on your host?  If there is more to the
> question, please explain?

Thanks for your quick response!

I am trying to download certain ham-related news groups into JNOS so that
our locals can read them when they log into JNOS. I also run another BBS
program (not Ham related) that will download the news and place them into
message areas for users to read. It uses a username and password to log into
my news server. The BBS software also requires a username and password to
read and download the news.

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way. How does one get the newsgroups
into JNOS? All NNTP servers require a username and password.

73 de Ray Quinn W6RAY
Visalia, CA DM06