[nos-bbs] does ANYONE use MD5AUTHENTICATE anymore ?

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ns.ac.yu
Thu Sep 18 13:07:00 EDT 2008

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:

> Does ANYONE even use MD5AUTHENTICATE in NOS anymore ?
>
> Is there any reason to keep it ?

Hi Maiko,

I have been trying to use it for experimenting with authentication of
various FBB solutions (Eg. Protus c_filter), but it seems it is not
compatible with them. Also, seems that MD5AUTHENTICATE does not work in
AXIP networks at all (Eg. if at the other end of an AXIP link is BPQ32
node, it seems as if MD5AUTHENTICATE is not enabled at all).

Btw, has anybody tried to connect JNOS with MD5AUTHENTICATE defined, by
using WinPack in telnet mode. If you telnet JNOS it does ask for
Password incl. [8-digit] MD sequence in brackets, but I don't know how
to prepare an answer in WinPack because WinPack's MD password mechanism
seems to be compatible only with FBB's Protus [10-digit] MD algorithm.
(The latter is proved to work.) Any idea?

Regards,

Misko

PS: I talked above about JNOS 1.11f only. Don't know about v. 2.xx