[nos-bbs] SNMP in jnos?

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Tue Sep 2 12:15:16 EDT 2008

Greetings,

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:

> Hi Mark and group,
>
> > Is there any SNMP in JNOS ?
>
> Nope, although there is reference to SNMP MIB variables in the IP code,
> for statistics and control (RFC 1066), but no actual SNMP services.
>
> > Although there is a I've been playing with MRTG and it occurs to me
> > that I could also graph my JNOS box.
>
> The only thing you could graph regarding JNOS would be the stats for
> the TUN/SLIP interface that runs between JNOS and its linux or mac host,
> and you would do that by running SNMP on the linux or mac side of that
> interface.

   You *can* use FINGER to gather a lot of information remotely.  Finger
supports the following specific querries:

?,A,B,C,CONV,D,E,F,H,I,IH,IP,J,K,L,M,O,P,PI,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Z >
f help at hamgate.washtenaw.ampr.org
Trying...  The escape character is: CTRL-T
*** connected to 44.102.1.1:finger
Available finger pseudo-users:
help iheard mbxinfo mstat mpast users usersdat info
ax25 aheard memstat socket tcpview asystat pkstat
conf links

   help    == the report you see above
   iheard  == IP jheard list
   mbxinfo ==  displays the MOTD.TXT file
   mstat   == Memory usage and system uptime
   mpast   == who has logged on since the last reboot
   users   == who is currently logged on (and what are they doing)
   usersdat == lists how each user has last logged in and when
   info    == what services were compiled into the NOS executable
   ax25    == shows currect AX.25 File Control Block (FCB) info
   aheard  == just like JUST HEARD (stations heard via AX.25)
   memstat == kernel memory statistics
   socket  == shows status of listening sockets
   tcpview == current TCP connection status
   asystat == serial port configuration and usage information
   pkstat  == shows ethernet packet driver statistics
   conf    == shows who is logged on the CONV bridge at this node
   links   == shows who this box has CONV links to
   <callsign> == connection data about a specific user

   Once every hour I querry each and every Hamgate (core router) and most
of our Key Stations in the Michigan AMPRnet.  This data is 'processed'
using simple Unix shell scripts and output into a browsable report.

   See:  http://monitor.nuge.com/~medn/network.html

   You will see that we track what nodes have established CONVerse links
to one another.  We also track what nodes are pingable, how much core
memory they have remaining (usefull on DOS-based boxes), and how long
since the last reboot.  This allows us at a glance to know what nodes are
down or having problems -- and get them repaired ASAP.  And by monitoring
the entire network we *KNOW* that's it's going to work when we need it :)

   Finger the report you want then process it through a couple grep's and
awk's and you've got some interesting reports!  Not as easy as SNMP, but
if you are handy with shell scripting you can produce some usefull
reports.  And if you know how to use "MRTG"  you can input your collected
data and produce usefull graphs :)

   Hope this information helps,

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          o ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
            [www.MI-DRG.org]
          o Michigan AMPRnet IP Address Coordinator

said:    "Would you like fries with that emergency communication?"
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |