[nos-bbs] IP-over-ax25

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ns.ac.yu
Sat Oct 4 05:45:17 EDT 2008

(Skip) K8RRA wrote:

> Let's start here, and focus only on JNOS as the ham software with SMTP,
> POP, and HTTP, services running on a Linux host.  Jnos can service a MUA
> [Mail User Agent like Thunderbird] and browser [like Firefox] on that
> specific host. Hooking these thing up to each other is quite straight
> forward. Some of this configuration is recently added to
> http://jnoswiki.no-ip.org/jnosd/SetPop as an example, and I'd be
> interested to know how helpful you found the wiki to be for your needs.

Hi Skip and others,

Will check the wiki, but I do not plan to run JNOS on a Linux host yet.
At the moment I run JNOS 1.11f as a bbs on an old DOS machine, but use
Firefox and Thunderbird at the second Win/Lin machine (residing within
the '2nd LAN' in the picture bellow). The second computer itself has no
physical ham outputs - it reaches the ham network via the first one
using either Telnet to JNOS machine or AXIP. The DOS box is alive 24/7
on 1200 bps VHF but the Windows/Linux box running Firefox and
Thunderbird is not. My idea was just to use JNOS box as a 'transit' way
for the Windows/Linux MUA to reach the ham network and through that ham
network to access a similar JNOS (or Xrouter) comp which resides within
the other LAN ('1st LAN' in the picture bellow).

The another idea was, it might be needed for my local JNOS box to serve
as a SMPT/POP3 server too? I mean, if so, it might store & forward my
internet email with the remote JNOS system that is wired to the ISP
facilities:

|---------- 1st LAN ---------|                  |-------- 2nd LAN -----|
University IP + JNOS (Xrouter) --> VHF 1200 bps <-- JNOS + Windows/Linux
   HTTP/POP3/SMTP servers                          HTTP/POP3/SMTP clients
   at least 2 computers here,                    2 computers here, incl.
  incl. 1 JNOS (Xrouter) on DOS                  1 JNOS (Xrouter) on DOS
  or 1 JNOS (Xrouter) on Linux
  if get a donation for such one

> Is JNOS required?  I don't expect JNOS is the only option, but I can't
> list the various non-JNOS software options that do work OK.

I was told that on the academic (internet, ISP) part of the game, it
would be the best solution to put an Xrouter software on a DOS machine
and wire that machine to the academic network, in order to route TCPIP
traffic between that network and ham network.

I suppose the best way for my local home setup, would be to put the same
configuration (Xrouter) on the local DOS box - to serve as the
router/gateway, but I just wanted to preserve the actual JNOS bbs
system. If it seems to be very complicated to use the existing local DOS
JNOS box for that purpose, I see as the possible solution to
occasionally switch from JNOS to Xrouter and vice versa. (I mean, when I
need to reach the ISP, I would use Xrouter, app 10% of the day, and the
remaining time it would be JNOS).

> For eye candy, you might want to put the CONVERSE feature to work and
> have several telnet sessions set up for instant messaging among various
> hosts on multiple LANS linked by RF & ham radio.  It's a TCP link that
> seems to show well.

Do you mean of the CONVERSE feature of JNOS? If so, I might think about
too, but I must take care not to go out of memory because the DOS box is
very ancient (only 1MB RAM).

> I for one applaud your intent to push the limits and install TCP/IP over
> AX.25.

Thanks. The idea is to use the existing hardware whenever possible and
avoid adding more and new machinery. I suppose that TCP/IP over AX.25 at
1200 bps is going to travel awfully slow and I do not plan (yet) to get
more and better radios and computers - until I prove that basic things
satisfy my needs :-)

Misko YT7MPB