[nos-bbs] 'attach baycom' code (for JNOS 2.0f+) - first (linux) version !

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Nov 21 11:56:40 EST 2008

Greetings to all,

This is only for LINUX ...

I have a working 'attach baycom' interface. The old way of using
pseudo-tty with the net2kiss software is no longer required.

1. Disclaimer and System Requirements
    ----------------------------------

This prototype was written on a slackware 9.1 system, 2.4.22 kernel,
which came with the baycom_ser_fdx module already. Of course you will
need kernel headers and development. If you are trying this on another
system, your results may vary. I am in the process of setting up a
more recent distribution (that includes the baycom support), so I
have yet to try it. If you feel like you need a challenge, then
go for it, and let me know (we can work on it together).

I am using the 'baycom_ser_fdx' module (device name bcsf0) !

2. Download
    --------

IF you are interested in trying this out, download following file :

    http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~maiko/jnos2/baycom.tar.gz
or
    wget http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~maiko/jnos2/baycom.tar.gz
or
    curl -o baycom.tar.gz \
     http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/~maiko/jnos2/baycom.tar.gz

3. How to compile and link
    -----------------------

Put the file into your JNOS source directory, then :

    gunzip baycom.tar.gz
    tar xvf baycom.tar

Then edit your makefile, put '-DBAYCOM_SER_FDX' at the end of the PATCHES

OR

edit your config.h, put '#define BAYCOM_SER_FDX' entry in it.

Then type 'make' to compile your JNOS again. Hopefully it works :)

4. Preconfigure the kernel module
    ------------------------------

   a) load the kernel module first (as root). On my system, ttys0 is :

       insmod baycom_ser_fdx mode="ser12*" iobase=0x3f8 irq=4

      you can determine this by 'cat /proc/tty/driver/serial'

   b) you MUST make sure that the kernel interface is *up*, using :

       ifconfig bcsf0 up

      only then will the 'attach baycom' command work. If you fail to do
      this, then the JNOS 'baycom_rx' process will terminate everytime
      you try and do an attach, and nothing will work.

5. How to attach from within JNOS
    ------------------------------

attach baycom vhf 300 bcsf0
pause 2
ifconfig vhf description "1200 baud on 145.01 Mhz"
param vhf 2 256
param vhf 3 1
param vhf 5 1
param vhf TxDelay 20

6. Done
    ----

That's it - I'll put more appropriate documentation up on my site
when I get the next update put together.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

* http://www.langelaar.net

November 21, 2008