[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 2.0f

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ns.ac.yu
Mon Nov 3 11:43:31 EST 2008

(Skip) K8RRA wrote:

> Care to try a mail delivery experiment?  Try sending me mail with an
> address like k8rra at 44.102.132.20 from your win/lin mail reader.

Hi Skip and others,

I am afraid that it won't work yet. Actually, my JNOS is not a part of
an ampr.org network, neither it has a direct Internet connection. At the
moment it is in an experimental phase, as a 24/7 BBS on 2m and has an
AXIP link to the FBB computer that has forwarding via the Internet. And
I use my win/lin mail readers from that (FBB) computer. So, I think the
only way for now might be to send you a mail that will go as 'pure'
packet mail to your local AX.25 BBS. If you have something like that,
let me know your local AX.25 BBS -or- even better, try to send me a
packet mail, which should reach my JNOS box: SP YT7MPB at YT7M.#NS.YUG.EU

When I get your mail, I will use my win/lin email readers to send you a
reply.

> An alternative to NNTP for just a couple paths could be to define two
> new accounts in your mail agent similar to the ones you use now for mail
> directed for your call, one for EU and one for WW.  Typically you have
> the option to specify the mail folder to deposit incoming mail
> [bulletin] into, and it does not have to be "inbox" where other mail
> accounts presently [probably] are depositing incoming mail.  It is also
> appropriate to check the "do not delete" selector as well.

Ok, thanks for suggestions ... I just checked my Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
EU and WW bulletins, according to your proposal. For my personal mail in
JNOS, I use yt7mpb at yt7m.ampr.org as an address i.e. yt7mpb as the user
name at the JNOS' POP server, but I don't have any clue how to read
bulletins, I mean what should be used as a user name? (an address like
yt7mpb at yt7m.ampr.org might be used for sending a reply to a packet
bulletin, by using SR <bull#>,  but even that case I am not sure if it
would be better to use as a reply-to address something more familiar
with AX.25 stuff, like: YT7MPB at YT7M.#NS.YUG.EU

> Bulletins have a distribution technique well handled by the "forwarding"
> function.  I have not done it, but that seems to dictate the "to"
> address of any bulletin you generate be the appropriate mailbox on your
> own jnos after configuring the AX25 forwarding function to pass it on...

It looks to me that the best way would be to activate NNTP server (I
think I saw that there is a way to choose a NNTP server option that will
allow hams who come over the radio path to see NNTP bulletins in the
mailbox as if they are usual packet AX.25 bulletins. Is that right? What
else should I #define ?

> Best of hamming while you experiment, then will you consider adding
> [documenting] your experience to the jnos wiki when you are done so
> others may share in your experience and use your technique as a go-by?

Skip, no problem of helping to your wiki. I am not much familiar with
wikis and from time to time I maintain my own fbb howto document:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/FBB.html  (after you check its content, maybe you
could make some links from your wiki to the parts of my document, just
to avoid much repetition of the same or similar explanations :-))

> Now that could light some flames?
>
> 73
> de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k

He, he, no reasons for flames ... it is just for experiments, learning
of technology and fun. That's the point: to make the same result by
using different approaches.

Misko YT7MPB