[nos-bbs] purpose of R: lines, do we really need them, etc ?

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Fri Mar 28 18:06:48 EDT 2008

As a former PBBS sysop (1992 time frame) those were devised as a means of
documenting what station and when a message entered the PBBS world, and
which stations handled it in between.  At one point the FCC went after every
station in the chain of forwarding a message that was commercial, and had
been put into the PBBS network for distribution.  It also served as a means
of determining if a message got hung up somewhere along the way, for what
ever reason - such as being forwarded over a marginal path, or one only open
during the day or night - HF forwarding, for example.

"Back in the day", it wasn't unusual for a message traveling from coast to
coast to pick up 15 R: lines, especially if HF propogation was poor, and VHF
was used to deliver the message via many hops.

Hope that helps a little!

73, Bob, KD7NM