[nos-bbs] purpose of R: lines, do we really need them, etc ?

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Mar 28 16:11:24 EDT 2008

Skip wrote :

> Oh my Maiko, a feature decision at hand ?

Not even close. I just want to hear from sysops what R: lines do or
do not do for them, their experiences with R: lines, that's all.

> PLEASE don't take this as impugning your experience!

I have very little experience in forwarding, and my knowledge of
the use of R: lines (I'm going to guess from the earlier days) is
is very limited.

> Perhaps a question is how will WL2K treat a R: header in their system ?

I don't think WL2K cares, and I don't believe it is a standard field
in any header used in WinLink or Airmail. If anyone wants to correct
me on that, please do. It's just another header field, that's all.

> Is this an option to suppress only for B2F ?

I'm not looking to suppress anything. JNOS by default does not care
for the R: line by the looks of it (all the Rdate, Rcheck, whatever
are set to false).

> I guess I've talked myself into favoring dropping R: on the way
> into WL2K ...  Adverse consequences will certainly show up ...

That was not the purpose of my post.

> Was R: something of a surprise in putting B2F together ?

Nope, it had nothing to do with it.

:)

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM