[nos-bbs] B2F (compression) success !!!

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 24 18:37:39 EDT 2008

Could someone *EASILY* demystify the protocol soup?

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:43 -0500, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> It turns out that B2F is essentially IDENTICAL to F6FBB compressed
> forwarding. The ONLY difference in the compressed data stream is that
> the B2F puts an extra 2 byte CRC in front of the regular F6FBB part.
The detail of how a protocol works or is structured is beyond my
need-to-know, but I'm struggling to understand the top level:
  > when it is important to reference one particular protocol
  > [when is one protocol a suitable alias for another protocol]
while configuring and operating a jnos node...

I find F6FBB referenced on Maiko's site as part of forwarding over HF
paths.  Are identical methods used for VHF telpacs to wl2k, and maybe
Airmail to jnos links?  I'll be experimenting with these, as a newbie to
these hook-up variations this info is a "leg up" to that work...

I find "XFBB" referenced as part of using WL2K forwarding, is "F6" one
of the "X" variants of FBB or is "XFBB" one special case?  I also see
"FBB" and "F2B" documented as though they are alternative protocols that
are automatically("?) detected and handled.

Internal to jnos command structure the "mail fbb #" command makes no
mention of "F6FBB" but does reference "FBB" as optional protocols with &
without compression.  Will F6FBB and FBB be used as different protocols
or will jnos detect the differences and react automatically?

At his moment, I am presuming jnos needs to be compiled with the #define
FBBCMP and FBBFWD to allow F6FBB and B2F?

With this information at hand, I'll try to revise jnoswiki to bring a
simple view to protocol references and be consistent with what we see
here on the forum.  Is anyone willing to proof-read after I'm done?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k