[nos-bbs] Tuning nos

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Mar 23 01:21:54 EDT 2008

Greetings

I have a situation and I wonder if others here have an improvement I
might make.  The situation is that from time to time I get flooded with
repeat TCP packets, and I generate a flood of answers.

For example, this afternoon my host replied "SMTP ready" in a string of
38 consecutive TCP packets with only two sequence numbers over a period
of 15 minutes at 1200Baud.  I'm getting a similar number of incoming
requests.

Here is the problem as I see it:  I have no way to speed up a 1200B
link, and it is my opinion [without proof] that the situation is the
development of a huge backlog in the TX queue of the RF link, and the
remote RF node can accumulate stuff for me at high speed from even more
remote Internet sources.  It simply takes a long time to clear it out.

Further:  I only have control over my own configuration.  If I can
improve the situation by changing only my node it will make me most
happy.

Further:  It *seems* like a huge waste of bandwidth.  Yet, I can't find
anything to change...

Something that complicates this is how hard it is to see the problem.
Without the trace on I could not see the issue, and the only measurable
effect is that it took more than an hour for SMTP to transfer a small
mail -- nobody watches SMTP / it's as automatic as it gets.

Thanks for reading this far.
Am I alone with this one?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k