[nos-bbs] first draft (rev 1.0) - JNOS 2.0 User Manual !

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Wed Feb 13 16:22:11 EST 2008

Greetings Skip,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, (Skip) K8RRA wrote:

> Jnoswiki is an alternative jnos document.  What makes it poignant is
> that not one complaint appeared on this reflector while the jnoswiki has
> been out-of-service for more than 10 days.  The server is now rebuilt
> after a motherboard capacitor faulted and took the motherboard, power
> supply, and memory stack, with it.
>
> Not missing jnoswiki is a monument to the user community who perhaps has
> no burning need for the tool?  This issue deserves exploration.  If the
> answer is "no", then the jnoswiki concept needs to be allowed to die.

   I wouldn't get too despondant, Skip.  With so many JNOS boxes out there
just chugging along nicely, it's no wonder that folks don't need to look
things up very often.  Heck, I help maintain a dozen boxes and I can't say
as I've needed to look anything up in several months!

> Timing is impeccable because if the answer is "yes" then the wiki needs
> a new home in the next months when I depart for a 3 to 5 year stint
> living at sea.  I can't take it with me, and it is foolish to believe I
> can effectively administer the wiki from off shore.
>
> Here is an *opportunity* for anyone who values the power of the wiki as
> a document research tool and its potential as a community builder.
> Please consider picking up jnoswiki.no-ip.org as your own contribution
> to the jnos project.

   Does the Wiki require WinBlows?  If so, you *know* I won't touch it!!

   Is it a simple HTML website, or does it require an SQL database?
Special JAVA or Perl or other CGI software?

   If it's pretty straight forward I could probably host it here.  But if
it means a bunch of changes to my already running and already producing
$INCOME machines, than I probably would shy away from it.

   Please do tell... maybe we can work something out and find it a home.

      --- Jay WB8TKL

P.S.  And I envy you going on a multi-year sea voyage!!!

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |