[nos-bbs] More on this 64 bit stuff and JNOS ...

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Dec 12 10:40:05 EST 2008

Hi Bob,

I'm going to copy the list on this.

> I have to download your patch to see what you did.

In a nutshell, I've made the assumption that all the LONG declarations
in JNOS are going to be 32 bit - I mean I think that's safe to assume
considering it's been compiled on 32 bit linux for a long time now,
and runs well on that environment.

So what I plan to do (complete) to make JNOS alot more 64 bit compatible
is to first of all go through all the structure definitions in the header
files and change the use of LONG to int32 instead.

The 'int32' is typedef'd in global.h. On 32 bit systems, LONG is used
since LONG uses up 32 bits. For the 64 bit systems, I've had to change
the typedef to use INT, since INT (not LONG) uses 32 bits there. The
LONG in 64 bit systems is 64 bits in size. I'm just trying to preserve
the fact that the variable has always been a 32 bit variable. That will
save me alot of code changes (I'm pretty certain).

Also, pointers may be a concern here and there, haven't run into anything
yet. Hope that makes sense. Just lookup LP64 on google.

The patch is very minimal, I only changed a few IP related structures,
and a couple of function declarations. The patch at least gets telnet
working. I'm sure there will be other things that are *broken*. I did
this more as a 'quick' fix to try and understand the issues.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

* http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2