[nos-bbs] JNOS needs D-STAR abilities

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Sun Aug 31 22:11:38 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been playing with D-RATS all day and have decided that whilst it is
a very good application it still doesn't address the needs of the
average data user.

As you may know, D-STAR has a "low speed" data ability on its radio's of
roughly 4800bd. Why can't we tap into this?

The problem with the current crop of D-STAR data packages is that they
are all point-to-point apps. Except that is for text messaging which
appears to be a sort of multicast or at least broadcast.

With the modem already embedded into the D-STAR appliance all we need to
to is attach the radio to the serial port as though it was a TNC. I'm
guessing that JNOS would need a driver for D-STAR to accomplish this.

The problem arises (I think) at the user end. They either have to run
JNOS as a client or have some sort of "shim" app that captures their IP
traffic and pushes it through the radio. This sort of already exists
with D-RATS.

It occurs to me that as the data mode can use the repeaters as well as
the voice mode this could be quite a useful tool.

Am I barking mad here or do I have an idea?

Mark

--

Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
Randolph, NJ